Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fix Damaged SD Card error on Android

I often get this error on my Android phone since I got a class 2 16gb SD card. It might be that this SD card is faulty my phone just doesn't work well with this specific card. But anyway, it still works! Before, whenever I get the "Damaged SD Card" error I copy all my SD card files to my PC, then format the SD card and copy it back. This works, but it takes a lot of time especially if you have a large SD card. Another easier way I found is use the "Check Disk" function of Windows 7 (I'm not sure about previous Windows versions). Follow this guide:
  • Mount your SD card using an SD card reader
  • Right click on the drive, select properties
  • Go to Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check now
  • On Check disk options, check both "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"
  • Click Start!
This still takes some time but it's a lot faster than reformatting the SD card. When it's done checking (and fixing), put back your SD card to your Android phone. Hopefully this fixes it!

5 comments:

  1. it doesnt fix it.. windows says it cant check the disk cause it cant access it. and when i insert the card, it asks me to format it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if your computer doesn't work? I tried to recover my lost data using my card reader, inserted the card & booted my PC, only to discover my monitor wouldn't turn on. I'm on a fixed income and cannot afford anything new right now. Are there any online resources I could try? I have precious files, years worth of photos, graphics it took me a long time to create, as well as music I need for my choirs. Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi~ I have this kind of problem too... even my pc also cant read my sd card with card reader... is this mean my sd card really damaged?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes an INSANE long time with a 32gb card.

    ReplyDelete